Disclaimer: Any/all of the links on AuthorityBasketball.com are affiliate links from which I receive a small commission from sales of certain items. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you!
Basketball games are usually high scoring events, so it can be pretty useful to have an accurate method of recording how many successful baskets are made by either side.
This is where basketball scoreboards come in handy.
You see them used effectively in America’s highest-level basketball league – the NBA – and there’s no reason why players who just shoot hoops for recreational purposes can’t get the same utility out of them.
So, if you’re someone who likes to play team-oriented basketball games with your friends, then you should have a read of this article as it’ll cover the best basketball scoreboard options that are currently available on the market.
To begin with, here’s our list of the finest options:
Sports Supply Group Multisport Indoor Tabletop Scoreboard
Sportable Scoreboards Multisport Indoor Tabletop Scoreboard
Multiple timer modes
In-built control panel
Spolehli Portable Tabletop Scoreboard
Built-in 75dB buzzer
GAN XIN Portable Tabletop Scoreboard
Bright red LED display
Wireless remote control
It’s certainly a close call to determine the winner.
The Sports Supply Group Multisport Indoor Tabletop Scoreboard just about wins it in the end. Despite the high price point, it delivers in so many areas like wireless control; variety of scoring and countdown modes as well as having long service life which many happy customers can attest to.
- 1. Sports Supply Group Multisport Indoor Tabletop Scoreboard
- 2. Sportable Scoreboards Multisport Indoor Tabletop Scoreboard
- 3. Spolehli Portable Tabletop Basketball Scoreboard
- Dedicated motherboard
- Multiple scoring modes
- All-round remote control
- Built-in buzzer
- Other specifications
- Qualities to look for in a good basketball scoreboard
- Which basketball scoreboard is best?
1. Sports Supply Group Multisport Indoor Tabletop Scoreboard
- Perfect for Any Sport!
- Use as a metronome, stopwatch, clock with alarm and program timer
- Includes period, bonus, team fouls and possession indicators
Starting off this product roundup is the highly rated Multisport Indoor Tabletop Scoreboard, which is manufactured by Sports Supply Group.
The company is well established as a manufacturer, marketer and distributor of sporting goods products to institutions and sports teams within America.
In fact, Sports Supply Group is quoted as being the largest direct mail distributor of sports-related equipment in the United States, as they manufacture approximately 8000 products that they market and sell to public and private schools, governments and even youth sports leagues.
Based in Dallas – Texas to be more precise – they work with some of the world’s biggest brands like Nike, Rawlings, Wilson and Under Armour and that strengthens their reputation as a product deliverer.
As a buyer of their scoreboard, you can be confident that it will deliver from an aesthetic and performance perspective.
Let’s now get into some of the headline features of this one.
When it comes to keeping track of basketball scores, this product offers a lot more than one would initially expect.
For starters, this scoreboard is fitted with LED lights that display team scores for the home and away sides, along with a section that keeps track of the period of play that the game is in (i.e. first quarter, second quarter, etc.).
Additionally, it displays the number of fouls committed by each team, which is a great feature that referees can make use of.
This tabletop scoreboard can also be used as a stopwatch in competitive game or training sessions, as it has a countdown timer function right at the very top.
Wireless control with long range
Users will find this scoreboard easy to set up and customize, as it comes with a conventional remote control for inputs.
What that means is that a person keeping track of the scores in a basketball game never has to be tethered to the scoreboard table on the sidelines, as they can watch the game from wherever they please as long as it’s within the 100 feet wireless range.
So, you can put this scoreboard court side or, if you prefer, you could place it somewhere in the stands, allowing you to start, stop or change the game clock when you see fit.
Lastly, the remote is quite convenient as it allows users to referee the basketball game and record scores whenever there is a break in play.
Built-in control panel
Perhaps the standout feature of this scoreboard is the in-built control panel.
It allows for greater connectivity and full on tournament play as users can make use of the four independent programmable frequencies, which allows multiple scoreboard units to operate in the same area.
This can be quite useful when you have a tournament and you need scoreboards to keep track of the points when multiple games are in play at the same time, side-by-side.
- Product dimensions – 16” H x 24” W x 10” D
- LED clock digits – 4.75 inches
- LED score digits – 4.25 inches
- Package weight – 5.78 kilograms
2. Sportable Scoreboards Multisport Indoor Tabletop Scoreboard
- Lightweight design for easy transport. Recommended for use indoors.
- Scores basketball, wrestling, volleyball, boxing and more. 22Wx15Hx8 deep
- Clock counts up to or down from 99:99 and scores to 199.
Sportable Scoreboards is another American manufacturer of electronic scoreboards who have been around since 1986.
What they were able to do was spot the need for portable scoreboards at youth sporting events and fill that hole in the market for the last three decades and counting.
They’re quite confident in what they offer as a brand, as they guarantee scoreboard buyers the lowest prices in the industry by building their own products from start to finish and selling them direct to customer from their factory at wholesale prices.
Now let’s move on to the good stuff.
This Sportable Scoreboard Deluxe Tabletop Model is arguably just as good, if not better than the aforementioned product.
It has all the bells and whistles that you’d want in a digital basketball scoreboard, along with some extra features that elevate its quality even further.
Multiple timer modes
Functionality-wise, you get a very robust product here as the scoreboard has a four-digit clock display that can count either upwards or downwards from 00:00 to 99:99.
What’s more is that it features workout and circuit timer modes, which are great when you want to record certain variables during training sessions.
You’ve also got three-digit home and guest scoring indicators which run from zero all the way up to 199.
Another thing that makes this scoreboard really ideal for those indoor basketball games is the period indicator, which can be used to indicate what quarter a match is currently at.
Colorful LED displays
This scoreboard is also quite a colorful one because its crystal clear 4-inch LED lighting beams in yellow, red and green.
More so, the display is super bright and 100,000 hour rated which ensures that you’ll get many years of use out of the scoreboard.
In-built control panel
Even if you’re a beginner when it comes to scorekeeping, setting this product up and tracking points is so straightforward.
The control panel fitted onto the back of it comes with a complete readout screen which allows the scoreboard operator to see everything that the spectators and players see on the display.
And finally, it also has game cards which you slide into the back of the operating unit to score different styles of games.
So, for example, when you want to score basketball games you insert the basketball card and that brings up the relevant point-scoring system.
- Product dimensions – 15” H x 22” W x 8” D
- Package weight – 5.17 kilograms
3. Spolehli Portable Tabletop Basketball Scoreboard
- EXQUISITE ALUMINUM ALLOY: Unlike the plastic frame of other products, which can be easily broken into pieces, the black aluminum alloy frame of Spolehli scoreboard is shock-resistant, drop-resistant, light-weight but durable. Its HD digital tubes have been tested before leaving the factory, and the service life is guaranteed.
- HD RED DIGITAL TUBE: The red digital tube is conspicuous and the reading is convenient, digits can be seen within 98.4ft (30m); Scoreboard size: 18.7x10x2.2''(475mm x 255mm x 55mm), digits height: 3''(76.2mm), 2.3''(58.4mm), 1.8''(45.7mm), is a great companion for all kinds of sport leagues, tournaments and training.
- STANDARD SCORE MODE: This scoreboard is SINGLE-SIDED and has two scoring mode: Standard Score and Basketball Score Mode. In Standard Score Mode, the top 3" number can be set to real-time (12-hour/24-hour display), or a countdown clock (in hour-minute format or minute-second format), which is easy to switch, meet different scoring needs.
Next up we have the Spolehli Basketball Scoreboard.
This one is jam packed with lots of good features which we’ll get right into.
First off, this scoreboard adopts a multi-layer motherboard design.
Its large circuit layout and well-integrated design of internal circuit boards means that you can rest easy when it comes to the service life of this product.
You can expect a low failure rate as its inner circuitry has been well put together.
Multiple scoring modes
This scoreboard has a specific scoring mode for basketball along with a standard scoring mode for general score keeping.
When the basketball mode is activated, users can set a 12-minute countdown which keeps track of the time in each basketball quarter – which in the NBA for instance is 12 minutes long.
Then there are also additional options like a shot clock, which can be adjusted up to 99 seconds.
In standard scoring mode, the timer can be set to a 12-hour or 24-hour display according to the needs of the user, and there’s also the option to switch to countdown clock format when a situation calls for it.
All-round remote control
The 2.4G remote wireless remote control that this scoreboard comes equipped with makes operating the device so simple.
A person can control the scoreboard within a range of approximately 70 feet (21 meters), without experiencing any signal interruptions or interferences.
Lastly, this basketball scoreboard has an integrated buzzer which sounds when the countdown clock runs all the way down to zero.
The sound made can be turned off using the remote, although the volume level of the sound can’t be adjusted as it’s permanently set at the factory.
- Frame size – 18.7” x 10” x 2.2″
- Package weight – 3.11 kilograms
If this scoreboard isn’t the right fit for you, then you may want to have a look at the GAN XIN Portable Digital Scoreboard.
- 【NICE DISPLAY WITH BRIGHT LED】-Scoreboard size is 18.7x10 inch(LxW). With 3&2.3 inch red led that you can see clearly from 66ft(30 meters) away.Tripod need additional purchase. (ASIN:B07WZN25D5 )
- 【HIGH QUALITY MATERIAL】-Professional Board,large circuit area,low failure rate. Exquiste frame-patent design aluminum alloy frame, light&reliable&durable
- 【SUITABLE FOR MOST GAMES】-There are two scoreboard mode:P-00(Time+Period+Score+Fouls);P-01(Time+Period+Score+Shot clock).At P-00 mode,time can be set as clock or countdwon timer.Time more than 1 hour,display HH:MM,;less than 1 hour,display MM:SS. More extra function:12/24 Hour display, countdown, count up, stopwatch.This scoreboard are widely used for basketball,soccer,volleyball and etc. training.
Even though its feature set is nearly identical, you may prefer things like the craftsmanship or its presentation.
Qualities to look for in a good basketball scoreboard
Basketball scoreboards cost quite a pretty penny, so you’ll want to be absolutely sure of your purchase before giving out your card details.
Here are some things that you should think about as you come to a conclusion:
Consider whether you want users to have the ability to operate the scoreboard remotely.
For example, if a player doubles up as a referee and a score keeper, it could be a good idea to go for a scoreboard that comes with a remote control accessory that will allow them to key in scores from a distance away, keep track of time periods and officiate the game at the same time.
Conversely a scoreboard with a built-in control panel can be good if you have a dedicated score keeper who’s prepared to sit courtside and monitor proceedings from there.
You’ll want people to be able to see the scoreboard digits from a good distance, so ensure the model you select has bright LED lights that can be color customized.
Pay close attention to the sizing of the digits too, as smaller digits may force people to squint their eyes in order to read what’s on the display, which can be a bit discomforting.
Another thing you need to think about is what sort of power source the scoreboard will use.
Some of them are battery powered which means all you need to do from time to time is recharge the batteries.
However, there are some units sold which are plugged in directly to mains power.
For versatility, you’ll probably want a scoreboard that can do both.
Lastly, weigh up whether you intend to use the scoreboard outside.
Exposure to the elements could damage the internal components through short-circuiting if you’re not careful, so look over the product specifications so that if you’re going for an outdoor model that it has the necessary water resistance / water proofing.
Which basketball scoreboard is best?
You can’t go wrong with the Sports Supply Group Multisport Indoor Tabletop Scoreboard.
It allows you to keep track of the score during competitive and recreational basketball games, with LED lighting that is bright and numbers that are easily legible from a distance.
Hopefully you’ve enjoyed reading through this review piece.
For further insights into this sport, you can have a read of our article on why basketball is so enjoyable, particularly because of how high scoring matches can be.