Disclaimer: Any/all of the links on AuthorityBasketball.com are affiliate links from which I receive a small commission from sales of certain items. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you!
Basketball shoes have come a long way since their inception in the early 20th century.
From the high-top Converse Chuck Taylor All Stars that were popular in the 1950s, to the low-cut designs that dominated the 2000s, the evolution of basketball shoes has been marked by a constant push for innovation and performance.
One of the most significant developments in recent years has been the rise of high ankle basketball shoes.
But what makes these shoes so popular, and why are they here to stay?
Let’s take a closer look for you.
- The importance of ankle support in basketball
- What benefits do high ankle basketball shoes provide?
- Are high-top or low-top basketball shoes better?
- Choosing the right high ankle basketball shoes
- What does the future of high ankle basketball shoes look like?
The importance of ankle support in basketball
One of the primary reasons that high ankle basketball shoes have gained in popularity is the role that they play in supporting the ankles.
In basketball, lateral movement is key, and players are constantly cutting and pivoting on the court.
This puts a lot of strain on the ankles, and a weak or unsupported ankle can easily lead to injury.
High ankle basketball shoes provide additional support to the ankle by extending the shoe’s upper material higher up the leg.
This helps to stabilize the ankle and prevent rolling, which is a common cause of ankle injuries in basketball.
In addition to providing support, high ankle basketball shoes also help to protect the ankles from impact and collisions with other players or the floor.
What benefits do high ankle basketball shoes provide?
In addition to providing ankle support, high ankle basketball shoes also offer a number of other benefits to players. These include:
1. Improved fit
High ankle basketball shoes often have a snugger fit around the ankle, which can help to improve the overall comfortability and feel of the shoe.
This can be particularly beneficial for players with narrow ankles, who may struggle to find a low-cut shoe that fits well.
2. Enhanced court performance
The added support and stability provided by high ankle basketball shoes can help to improve performance on the court.
Players may find that they are able to cut and pivot more quickly and effectively, thanks to the additional support offered by the high ankle design.
3. Increased durability
The higher cut of high ankle basketball shoes can also help to increase the durability of the shoe.
By covering more of the ankle and lower leg, the shoe is better able to withstand the wear and tear of constant movement on the court.
Are high-top or low-top basketball shoes better?
While high ankle basketball shoes have gained in popularity in recent years, there are still those who prefer the traditional low-cut design.
So, which is the better choice?
One argument in favor of low-cut shoes is that they allow for greater range of motion and flexibility.
This can be beneficial for players who rely on quick movements and agility on the court.
However, it’s worth noting that many high ankle basketball shoes are designed with flexibility in mind, and newer models often incorporate features such as split-sole designs or flex grooves to allow for a natural range of motion.
On the other hand, the added support and stability provided by high ankle shoes can be particularly useful for players with previous ankle injuries, or those who are prone to rolling their ankles.
High ankle shoes can also be a good choice for players who spend a lot of time on the court, as the added durability can help the shoes last longer.
Ultimately, the decision between high ankle and low-cut basketball shoes will come down to personal preference and the specific needs of the player.
Some may prefer the greater flexibility and agility of low-cut shoes, while others may value the added support and stability of high ankle designs.
Here’s a great piece of video footage where a basketball enthusiast weighs up the positives and negatives of each type of basketball shoe when it comes to the topic of sprained ankles and athletic performance:
Choosing the right high ankle basketball shoes
If you’re considering purchasing a pair of high ankle basketball shoes, there are a few key factors to consider.
- Fit: As with any shoe, it’s important to choose a pair that fits well and feels comfortable. High ankle basketball shoes should provide a snug fit around the ankle, without being too tight or constricting.
- Support: Look for shoes that offer a good amount of support and stability to the ankles. This may include features such as padded collars, reinforced uppers, or lateral stability devices.
- Cushioning: Proper cushioning is important for comfort and performance on the court. Choose a pair of high ankle basketball shoes that offer a good balance of cushioning and support.
- Durability: If you play basketball on a regular basis, it’s worth investing in a pair of shoes that will hold up over time. Look for high ankle basketball shoes made with durable materials and solid construction – such as shoes with a rubber sole makeup.
Following on from these points, now is a good time to recommend some specific options for shoes which stand out in this particular category.
Here are a few great high-top basketball shoes available on Amazon:
- SEAMLESS INTEGRATED WEAVING & HOT-MELT PROCESS: High-quality integrated weaving combined with hot-melt process to fully reduce the discomfort of the foot and provide comfortable wrapping and support. The outsole of the Streetball Master is thick and solid, with a deep traction pattern that will wear nicely outdoors.
- PEAK STA STABILIZATION MODULE: A stabilization module that rolls up on the outside of the forefoot and bulges outward, providing support for the lateral movement of the foot and reducing the chance of spraining.
- OUTDOOR RB UPGRADED WEAR-RESISTANT RUBBER: By upgrading the rubber formula, the wear resistance has been greatly improved, which can better adapt to the conditions of plastics, cement, etc. in the field, and avoid the impact of the shoes service life due to the excessive wear of the shoe.
- Premium synthetic leather upper.Walk the vegan walk through this shoe.
- High top shoes style, attached ankle closely, and improve shoes wrapping performance.
- CLassic color matching designed,Black&Red&White,Full of youth and passion.
- DURABLE AND LIGHTWEIGHT MATERIAL: These game sneakers feature leather and mesh upper for a blend of support and breathability
- EFFICIENT FOOT SUPPORT: These stylish trainers feature high abrasion rubber outsole adds durable responsiveness and lasts many jogs and games
- REMOVABLE ORTHOTICS INSERT: This footwear features removable EVA sockliner accommodates orthotics and offers cushion
What does the future of high ankle basketball shoes look like?
It’s clear that high ankle basketball shoes offer a number of benefits to players, and it seems likely that they will continue to be a popular choice among basketball players of all levels.
With more and more brands introducing their own high ankle designs, there is no shortage of options to choose from.
Whether you’re a seasoned pro or a casual player, a high ankle basketball shoe may be worth considering for your next purchase.
High ankle basketball shoes are a popular choice among players due to the added support and stability they provide to the ankles.
While low-cut shoes may offer greater flexibility and agility, high ankle designs can be a good choice for those with previous ankle injuries or for players who spend a lot of time on the court.
When choosing a pair of high ankle basketball shoes, it’s important to consider fit, support, cushioning, and durability.